Prosecco vs. Pinot Grigio

Prosecco vs. Pinot Grigio

Is Pinot Grigio Similar to Prosecco?

Pinot Grigio is known for being a light, crisp and palate-pleasing wine. It is one of the most widely recognized white wines, and can be paired very well with a variety of different foods.

Unlike Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio is very rarely produced in oak, so it lacks that strong and often pungent flavor and aroma that Chardonnays are known for. It’s that reason that many wine drinkers prefer Pinot Grigio over Chardonnay. It’s simply easier to drink.  We feel the same way about Prosecco, especially Mr SYLTBAR Premium Prosecco. It is easy drinking, and perfect for any occasion.

Another similarity between these two white wines is that they are both considered to be “Italian” styles of wine. Both Pinot Grigio and Prosecco are mainly produced in north east Italy. Most Pinot Grigio wines are produced in the regions of Veneto, Friuli, Lombardy, Trentino and Alto Adige. Did your ears perk up when you saw the names Veneto and Friuli? That’s because those are the same regions that Prosecco is produced in, and our winery is in Friuli!


Is Prosecco Made from Pinot Grigio?

As you know, in order for a sparkling wine to be called a Prosecco, it must be made from at least 85% Glera grape, which grows in the Veneto and Friuli regions of Italy — the same areas that are known for growing Pinot Grigio too. The remaining 15% of the grapes used in Prosecco can be a blend of other grapes, and many times, Pinot Grigio is part of that blend.

So, yes, some Prosecco varieties can be made from a little bit of Pinot Grigio, but in the case of SYLTBAR, it is not. Our wine producers use 100% Glera grapes to make Mr, and that is why it has such a light, crisp and clean taste.

This grape is known for having medium to high acidity, which makes it perfect for making sparkling wines. These grapes produce light to medium bodied wines with floral notes, as well as hints of melon, peach and pear. Mr SYLTBAR Premium Prosecco embodies these characteristics. Since there are no other grapes used to make the wine and our producers are very mindful of natural production processes, you are getting the purest and freshest Prosecco when you drink SYLTBAR. 

Pinot Grigio’s flavors and aromas really depend on where the grape is produced, but some of the main notes include pear and white nectarine or peach, which is similar to Glera.


What is Pinot Grigio from SYLTBAR?

SYLTBAR offers two varieties of Pinot Grigio wines, and you might find them each very different from the typical Pinot Grigio found at your local wine shop due to their unique production processes.

Our main Pinot Grigio is nicknamed White Linen because of its light, airy, fresh and clean taste. It has more character than other mass-produced varieties, and will surprise even the most sophisticated white wine drinker. It is made with 100% Pinot Grigio grape with notes of apple, pear and apricot, with nuances of hay and dried fruit.

We also offer a Ramato style Pinot Grigio, which we nickname Junior because of its shorter bottle size — however, it is still 750ml! Junior is made in the traditional style of leaving the skin on the grapes overnight in order to enhance the wine’s aromatics, flavors and color. That is why a Ramato Pinot Grigio wine looks much darker than other more commonly seen Pinot Grigio. This wine is also made from 100% Pinot Grigio grape, with notes of pear, pomegranate, red currants and florals.


Shop for Low Sugar Pinot Grigio and Prosecco

When you shop SYLTBAR, you know you are always getting naturally produced Italian wine, with no added sweeteners or sugars, no added sulfites, additives or preservatives, no animal byproduct as clarifiers and it’s lower in calories than other brands of wine. Choosing a brand of Pinot Grigio and Prosecco is easy when SYLTBAR is an option!

White Linen and Junior are exclusively available in our online store, but Mr (and our Mrs Sparkling Rose) is available to purchase in many wine tops and retail stores, as well as in many restaurants by the glass and bottle. Check out our locator to see where you can shop for or order Mr and Mrs.

Older post Back to blog Newest post

Similar posts

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.