What’s the Difference Between the Prosecco and Sparkling Rosé Wine?

What’s the Difference Between the Prosecco and Sparkling Rosé Wine?

Fans of SYLTBAR know that we are most well known, and well loved, for our Mr Premium Prosecco and Mrs Sparkling Rosé, but do you truly know the difference between these two sparkling wine varieties? Yes, you know that they are both delicious, both 100% naturally produced, both vegan, and both very low in sugar, sulfites and calories… But there is so much more than that to differentiate the two SYLTBAR sparkling wines

The main difference is the type of grapes used to produce each of the wines. The type of grape used in production determines the resulting flavor of SYLTBAR’s sparkling products.

How is Prosecco Made?

SYLTBAR Premium Prosecco is made with 100% Glera grapes, which is the standard grape for Prosecco. All Prosecco is required by Italian law to contain at least 85% Glera to be able to legally be labeled as Prosecco. Many Prosecco brands choose to only use 85%, and mix in cheaper grapes to make up the remaining 15%. Not SYLTBAR though — our wine producers choose to go all in, using only high quality Glera grapes to produce the wine.

What is Sparkling Rose?

SYLTBAR Sparkling Rosé is made with 100% Merlot grapes, which is actually pretty rare to find because Merlot grapes have less acidity. Many other sparkling rosé brands use a blend of Pinot Noir grapes.

Furthermore, a sparkling rosé can never legally be considered a Prosecco because of the grapes used to make it — there are no Glera grapes present. There is, however, such a thing as a Prosecco Rosé. There are specific regulations to set this type of sparkling wine apart from Prosecco and Sparkling Rosé. The grapes of a Prosecco Rosé must come from a specific area that has been approved by the Italian government. The sparkling wine must have at least 85% Glera grape (as we have already explained this is the only way a wine can be called a Prosecco), and the rest of the grapes must come from Pinot Noir grapes. Italy’s DOC also sets a fermentation requirement for Prosecco Rosé — 60 days in stainless steel tanks.

These two requirements are not necessary for sparkling rosés, which can be made from a variety of different grapes and regions, and do not need to be fermented for nearly as long. Sparkling rosé can be made in many different styles, with many different grapes. The regulations for this variety of sparkling wine are not as tight and rigid as they are for Prosecco. Some sparkling rosés are light and crisp, while others are rich and full-bodied. Some are sweet, and some are floral.

SYLTBAR decided against creating a Prosecco Rosé because we believe it is not a true Prosecco. We pride ourselves in the fact that our Prosecco is produced with 100% Glera grapes and our Sparkling Rosé is made with 100% Merlot. By mixing Glera and Pinot Noir grapes, it is a blended sparkling wine, and more of a marketing ploy to sell products because the consumer is familiar with the category of Prosecco — and also seems to really like drinking wines that are pink. This is a sales tactic, used to create a product that appeals to the masses. This is not part of SYLTBAR’s values.

We believe that the taste of sparkling wine is much crisper, much more refreshing, and much more flavorful when you stick to one grape and do not blend it with others.

Shop Prosecco, Sparkling, and Other Sparkling Wines Online 

Now you know the difference between Prosecco and Sparkling Rosé, but it’s also important to know that these two sparkling wines are also very different from other sparkling wines out there:

  • Champagne: Sparkling wine that only comes from the French region of Champagne. It can be any or a combination of these grapes: Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay.
  • Cava: a Spanish sparkling wine. The most common grapes used include Macabeu, Parellada and Xarello, but some can also contain Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Garnacha and Monastrell. About 95% of Cava wines are produced in Northeastern Spain.
  • Sekt: a German sparkling wine. The most common grapes used are Riesling, Silvaner and Pinot Noir.

When you are looking for a pure, natural Prosecco and/or Sparkling Rosé, SYLTBAR is the place to look! You can shop on our website at syltbar.com, or use our locator to find a restaurant or retailer near you that carries Mr and Mrs. Remember — not all sparkling wines are created equal. We encourage you to be picky, and select only the best!

Older post Back to blog Newest post

Similar posts

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.